University of Washington Bothell- Office of Community-Based Learning and Research
The University of Washington Bothell seeks to foster a "dynamic community of multicultural learning." The UW Bothell Office of Community-based Learning and Research holds as its mission the advancement of mutually beneficial relationships between the university and extra-campus communities through community-based learning for the purposes of education and growtn among all involved parties.
- Provide high-quality community-based learning experiences for UW Bothell students that integrate in-class knowledge and meaningful engagement within community institutions.
- Connect faculty research agendas and student learning to the needs of the community.
- Foster long-term relationships with regional, national, and international organizations.
- Bring ideas and knowledge from UW Bothell to the community, broadly defined, and from the community to UW Bothell.
- Enrich classroom engagement by providing students with service learning experiences that bring to life the materials they encounter in their coursework.
- Encourage pedagogically sound, community-based learning among and across programs at UW Bothell.
- Facilitate long-term, student-focused community-based learning projects that extend beyond a single course or single instructor.
The UW Bothell's Office of Community-Based Learning and Research promotes the on-going review of the outcomes, organizational structures, and processes that support this mission and these goals.
The Office of Community-Based Learning and Research at University of Washington Bothell envisions that all persons will be civically and collaboratively engaged and educated for local and global equity, stewardship, and justice.
Community-based learning is a learning experience that combines engagement with communities, structured preparation and reflection opportunities. Community-based learning opportunities are tied to academic coursework and address concerns that are identified with the community.