With dozens of parks, hundreds of programs, and a full menu of services, City of San Mateo Department of Parks and Recreation touches you and your family’s lives in many different ways. Whether you are visiting a park playground, enjoying the “urban forest” created by our many trees, or participating in a recreation class, you have access to Parks and Recreation services that help you maintain a positive quality of life.
Parks and Recreation helps create a sense of community that makes the City of San Mateo a great place to live, by:
- Operating 16 athletic fields and 22 playgrounds.
- Managing 21 sports facilities including tennis and other sports courts, swimming pools and our golf course.
- Maintaining many City landmarks and more than 40 miles of paths and trails.
- Caring for more than 3 miles of beaches and shoreline along the San Francisco Bay and Marina Lagoon.
- Facilitating boating use of the 220 acre Marine Lagoon.
- Looking after about 25,500 street and park trees.
- Maintaining over 250 landscaped medians.
- Offering almost 300 different types of activities from classes to camps, educational lectures to exciting excursions.