Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jackson County
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jackson County strives to help children reach their potential through professionally supported one-to-one relationships with motivated mentors from the community.
BBBSJC envisions successful mentoring relationships for all children who need and want them, contributing to brighter futures, better schools, and stronger communities throughout Jackson County.
There are three programs:
- This mentoring relationship is a commitment for a minimum of one year and a maximum of a lifetime.
- Matches are able to schedule their own activities within the community for a minimum of one hour weekly or four hours monthly.
Site Based (Bigs in Schools):
- The mentor joins his/her mentee at school one day each week during the recess-lunch period.
- Mentors and mentees participate in activities such as eating lunch together, practicing academics, playing a game, or just taking a walk on the school grounds.
Learn And Serve Teen Mentoring:
- Teens commit to participate in weekly mentoring and leadership training for 2 hours a week for 12 months in an after school program in the community.
- The first hour is spent in an activity the teens plan for the children or 'Littles' and the second hour is spent in leadership training with a Big Brothers Big Sisters staff member.
- Teens learn valuable job skills, leadership training, participate in group activities, all while earning community service hours and gaining a great resume builder and life experiences.