Ocean Explorium at New Bedford Seaport
"...It is the mission of the Ocean Explorium to establish New Bedford as a center for ocean science public education, with an emphasis on environmental stewardship and science literacy..."
The team at the Ocean Explorium seek to achieve this mission through five objectives:
1. To provide a unique and effective vehicle for educating the public about the oceans: their protection, restoration, pollution prevention and sustainable use. To act as a center for the public understanding of science. To give young people a sense of the opportunities available to them in the ocean sciences and other ocean-related industries.
2. To act as a hub for the collation and dissemination of information related to ocean sciences and environmental stewardship in New Bedford, Southeastern Massachusetts and throughout the world.
3. To provide a framework for networking and unifying marine sustainability and education efforts in the region, partnering with appropriate organizations to enhance common objectives and synergize resources.
4. To participate with partners in the downtown area in fostering a rejuvenation and revitalization of the City of New Bedford and in reuniting citizens with their cultural and geographical heritage.
5. To reconnect the people of Southeastern Massachusetts with the sea: highlighting the grace, beauty and significance of this essential resource, while emphasizing the importance of the modern seafood industry to local communities.