Jefferson Dollars for Scholars
The mission of Jefferson Dollars for Scholars is to expand access to educational opportunities for Jefferson Parish Public School students through scholarships and academic support.
Founded in 1993, Jefferson Dollars for Scholars (JDFS) is a chapter of Scholarship America, the largest privately funded scholarship organization in the country. There are 1,100 chapters of Dollars for Scholars in the United States.
- Since 1993: Over $11 Million raised benefiting 4,500 Students
- 1,950 College Scholarships;
- 2,060 Summer Enrichment Scholarships
- Every scholarship dollar given yields $4 in scholarships to students
THREE MAJOR PROGRAMS:
1. College Scholarships: 150-190 awarded each year for Seniors in JPPS high schools. Most are first generation college attendees, so these are barrier-breaking moments for families. Recipients are currently enrolled in 35 colleges nationwide; most colleges are in Louisiana. JDFS is helping the future of Jefferson Parish stay in Jefferson Parish.
2. Summer Academic Enrichment: Scholarships for grades K-8. Motivational for families since this is the first scholarship many will receive. It is an early push for post-secondary education and provides recipients a chance to do something in the summer instead of staying home.
3. ACT Test Preparation: Creates student eligibility for TOPS. Our “To the TOPS” programs have earned $1.79 million additional TOPS dollars for JPPS students.
Golden Tassel Award for Outstanding New Chapter in the country – 1996
Golden Tassel Award for Outstanding Established Chapter in the country – 2002
Golden Tassel Award for Outstanding Established Chapter in the country – 2010