Virginia Supportive Housing
Virginia Supportive Housing (VSH) is a not-for-profit that transforms lives, transforms communities & provides permanent solutions to homelessness. We provide permanent housing in Greater Richmond and South Hampton Roads. Our housing is integrated with appropriate levels of support services to help tenants stay housed and find the support they need to succeed in other areas of life.
- We develop and manage properties specifically for use as permanent housing.
- Tenants can stay as long as they wish, provided they can meet their commitments to pay rent and live within the guidelines of the property.
- We provide on-site case management to help people maintain their housing and become more independent.
- We offer counseling and financial literacy programs that empower tenants to make the changes needed to maintain jobs and move on to market rate housing, if possible.
- We work with landlords who offer affordable housing and connect them to homeless and disabled people who need housing.
The homeless individuals and families we serve represent the very lowest levels of income in our region (generally 30% or less than our area's median income). This financial situation is often compounded by other challenges, including substance abuse, mental illness and physical disabilities.
VSH has a remarkable track record of success. In 2010, 99% of the individuals we housed did not return to homelessness.