Mexicantown Community Development Corporation
The mission of Mexicantown Community Development Corporation (MCDC) is to foster economic development in the Hispanic community of Southwest Detroit, known as Mexicantown, as a means of eliminating blight, creating skilled positions for residents of the neighborhood, and providing opportunities of small business development by local entrepreneurs. MCDC is a not-for-profit, Michigan, 501(c)(3) corporation. MCDC's board of directors consists of residents, business owners and community and business development experts.
MCDC was formed in 1989. Its goals and programs include:
1) Promotion of the Mexicantown restaurant, shopping, and cultural district to audiences across southeastern Michigan;
2) Cultural programs and activities that educate and enrich the lives of residents of the neighborhood and the southeast Michigan region;
3) Physical improvements and maintenance in the Mexicantown district - including parks and streetscapes;
4) Entrepreneurial training and incubation to increase the economic self-sufficiency of neighborhood residents
5) Reuse of vacant land and development of the Mexicantown International Welcome Center and Mercado.