City Year San Jose/Silicon Valley
- San Jose
City Year unites young people of all backgrounds for a year of full-time service, giving them the skills and opportunities to change the world.
As tutors, mentors, and role models, these leaders make a difference in the lives of children, and transform schools and neighborhoods across the United States.
City Year is a proud member of AmeriCorps.WHAT YOU'LL DO
Beginning each day before the first school bell rings and staying until the last child leaves the after-school program, you'll serve students, schools and communities through:
- Academic Support: Provide one-on-one or small group tutoring before, during and after school
- Attendance and Positive Behavior Encouragement: Lead energetic morning greetings, make attendance and positive phone calls to home, lead mentor groups
- Community and School Improvements: Organize and lead activities, celebrations and projects to improve the community and school environment
Team-based service is at the heart of City Year. You will be assigned to a diverse team of 8-15 young adults and you will serve with that team for the duration of the year.
For more information on What You'll Do, visit http://www.cityyear.org/what-we-doWHAT YOU GET
Through City Year, you'll gain valuable skills and knowledge that will accelerate your career and education, no matter what path.Career and Education Opportunities:
- Eligibility for exclusive scholarships to dozens of colleges and universities
- Access to online career resource center
- Networking opportunities with more than 15,000 alumni
- Leadership training and development
- Project management and communication skills
- Civic knowledge
- Living stipend
- $5,775 AmeriCorps Education Award
- Federal student loan forbearance
- Health insurance
- Uniform provided
For more information about City Year's benefits, visit http://www.cityyear.org/join-the-corps/benefits/compensationELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
City Year corps members are as diverse a group as the communities they serve. We're looking for you if you want to give back and are ready to change the world.Applicants must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 25
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Have served no more than three terms in an AmeriCorps state or national program.*
- Agree to a criminal background check
Previous experiences with service, tutoring, mentoring or leadership strengthen candidacy.
- Individuals may receive no more than the value of two full time education awards. If you have received the equivalent of more than one full time education award, you are eligible to serve and receive a discounted award.
To be considered for a position, you must visit www.cityyear.org and submit your completed online application and two letters of recommendation. You can apply to a specific City Year location, a region or apply to serve where most needed by one of City Year's deadlines.
City Year's application deadlines take place on September 30th, November 15th, February 15th, and April 30th each year.CITY YEAR U.S. LOCATIONS
- Baton Rouge
- Little Rock/North Little Rock
- Los Angeles
- New Hampshire
- New Orleans
- New York
- Greater Philadelphia
- San Antonio
- Seattle/King County
- San Jose/Silicon Valley
- Washington D.C.
City Year is available to all, without regard to race, color, origin, gender, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation. or religion.
Do you work for City Year San Jose/Silicon Valley? Become an administrator