League of Michigan Bicyclists
The mission of the League of Michigan Bicyclists (LMB) is to promote bicycling and the safety of bicyclists on the roadways of Michigan.
LMB is a non-profit, tax-exempt statewide membership organization working to improve conditions for bicycling in Michigan. LMB supports many programs and projects and cooperates with state and local agencies and other like-minded groups toward this goal.
LMB’s education and advocacy efforts are largely supported through membership and donations. With approximately two million bicyclists in Michigan, there is great strength in numbers. LMB membership and donations ensure that a full-time bicycle advocacy group is looking out for bicyclists' interests, keeping the roads open to them and working to establish a more informed government and the public. Membership aligns bicyclists throughout Michigan to become a proven, effective, grassroots advocacy group. Whether you are a racer, recreational rider, mountain biker, tourist, or commuter, LMB works to make bicycling safe, comfortable, and convenient for all.
Member Benefits Include:
- Subscription to Michigan Bicyclist Magazine
- Discounts on LMB Bicycle Tours
- Advertising discounts in our magazine and Michigan Ride Calendar
- Discounts on LMB merchandise
- Copy of annual Michigan Ride Calendar (before the general public)
- E-News updates and action alerts
- Representation on bicycle-related legislation and policies
- Access to LMB staff
LMB is the voice for bicycling in Michigan. LMB staff regularly represent the interests of Michigan bicyclists at the state level, advocating for bicycle-friendly policies at the State Capitol.
LMB Advocates For:
- Safer roadways
- Improved infrastructure such as protected bike lanes
- Acceptance of bicyclists as legitimate road users
- Education of bicyclists, motorists, and law enforcement
- Representation of cycling issues at all levels of government
- Policies that are properly enforced, which advance bicycling and protect the rights of cyclists
LMB holds Lucinda Means Bicycle Advocacy Day every year State Capitol to communicate our legislative priorities with lawmakers. LMB also holds statewide bicycle conferences to help provide education and tools to improve cycling conditions at the local level.
LMB's Micro-Grant Program provides financial assistance to individuals and organizations who implement creative projects that promote bicycling and the safety of bicyclists on Michigan roadways. Micro-Grant funds are awarded annually in May in celebration of National Bike Month.
Education plays a key role in improving conditions for bicycling. LMB seeks to educate bicyclists, motorists, engineers and law enforcement personnel.
These efforts include the development of the What Every Michigan Bicyclist Must Know booklet, which is distributed to clubs, shops, police departments, libraries, organizations, and anyone interested in promoting safe bicycling.
LMB also developed and conducts Community Safety for Law Enforcement training sessions for law enforcement, parents, bicycle commuters, and those interested in running bike rodeos.
LMB created the bicycle-education curriculum for Michigan Safe Routes to School. LMB also represents bicyclists on the Governor's Bike/Pedestrian Safety Task Force, Healthy Kids, Healthy Michigan Task Force and MDOT safety groups.
Additionally, LMB promotes Bike to Work Week and other statewide commuting initiatives. LMB encourages its members and member clubs to support and organize local bike-commuting programs.
LMB regularly takes part in events throughout the state and beyond as an exhibitor promoting Michigan bicycling.
LMB Tours are a major funding source for LMB's many programs. LMB annually hosts Shoreline West, Sunrise Adventure, and MUP: on-road, multi-day fully supported camping tours. LMB also hosts HUB Fest, a one-day event featuring four distinct routes. The HUB Fest After-Party features local beer, food, and live music.
Ride with LMB to:
- Fund our Micro-Grant Program for bicycling initiatives across the state.
- Promote bicycling tourism and the unmatched beauty of Michigan.
- Financially support LMB's advocacy and education efforts, including our Community Bicycle Safety for Law Enforcement Training series and What Every Michigan Bicyclists Must Know booklets.
Publications & News
LMB's publication, Michigan Bicyclist Magazine, keeps members abreast of legislation, legal trends, and current events, and features bicycle touring, commuting, education and safety, physical conditioning.
LMB's annual Michigan Ride Calendar lists Michigan's bicycle tours and events, including single and multiple-day rides.
Development Director (Job)
Communications Director (Job)