Rio Grande Healthy Living Park
The RGHLP creates a legacy for future generations through the preservation of the rich agricultural heritage of the San Luis Valley Rio Grande corridor. Through the support of an innovative multi-use “park” designed to expand skills and knowledge of sustainable food projects via public economic development, opportunities abound to build community and involvement, service to under-served populations, and the nurturing of local arts and culture.
This integrated concept evokes the traditional model of a business park, where multiple tenants operate under a common management structure, and exemplifies a public park through the preservation of an open space for use by tourists and local communities alike, making it an economically self-sustaining agritourism destination.
The Rio Grande Healthy Living Park will feature:
- a working farm for education and research with opportunities for individuals, families and children to grow their own food,
- a year-round local food market supplied by greenhouses which could also provide fresh food to area schools,
- botanical gardens and a horticultural area,
- a commercial kitchen that will provide economic opportunities for local food makers and caterers.
- live events (concerts, parties, weddings, gatherings).
- walking trails for exercise, wildlife viewing and connecting our communities on the east and west banks of the Rio Grande by way of a pedestrian bridge over the river, and
- an attractive entrance to Alamosa that celebrates our agricultural heritage.
Do you work for Rio Grande Healthy Living Park? Become an administrator