East Harlem/El Barrio Community Land Trust
- New York
The East Harlem/El Barrio Community Land Trust (EHEBCLT) works to develop and preserve community-controlled, truly and permanently affordable housing, commercial, green and cultural spaces in East Harlem/El Barrio that prioritizes households of extremely low to low incomes.
As a strategy to ensure permanent affordability, the East Harlem/El Barrio Community Land Trust will own land and lease it to buildings on that land, as well as develop a resident-controlled Mutual Housing Association.
Our Statement of Principles
- To provide housing for people who have low or moderate income, especially those who are homeless and/or who have extremely low incomes;
- To maintain the quality and affordability of the housing provided for future residents of the community who have low or moderate incomes;
- To combat community deterioration by promoting the development, rehabilitation, and maintenance of decent housing that is truly affordable to people who are homeless or have extremely low incomes;
- To make land available for projects and activities that improve economic opportunities and quality of life in the community;
- To protect the natural environment and promote the ecologically sound use of land and natural resources and the long-term health and safety of the community;
- To less the burdens of government by entering into agreements to preserve the long-term affordability of housing made affordable through government subsidies and policies.