Northlake Homeless Coalition
The mission of the Coalition is to eliminate and thereafter prevent homelessness in Region IX. Region IX consists of Livingston, St. Helena, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa and Washington Parishes. The purpose of the Coalition is to serve as the Continuum of Care (CoC) for Region IX and perform the three main functions of a CoC as outlined by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD):
- Operating a functional Continuum of Care, including a coordinated assessment system;
- Managing the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS); and
- Strategic planning for the Continuum of Care and preparation of the annual application for funds.
The objectives of the Coalition are strategically aligned with HUD’s stated purpose of the CoC program to:
- Provide a community-wide commitment to the goal of ending homelessness;
- Provide funding for efforts to quickly re-house individuals and families who are homeless, which minimizes the trauma and dislocation caused by homelessness;
- Promote access to and effective use of mainstream programs; and
- Optimize self-sufficiency among individuals and families experiencing homelessness.