Cornelius Public Library
Mission The Cornelius Public Library's mission is to provide materials and services to help community residents of all ages and cultural backgrounds meet their informational, educational, professional, and recreational needs.
General Information The Cornelius Public Library was founded in October of 1912 through the efforts of the women of the Cornelius Civic Improvement Club. Mrs. Wilkins was the first librarian and supported a collection of 256 items and 50 cardholders. Initially located in a house on First Street, the library has since moved, first to the Charlie Hancock building, then the Cornelius City Hall, and later to 400 square feet of space in a converted garage near the fire station. Today the library is housed in a 3,025 square foot facility within the City Hall Complex and has nearly 20,000 items and 3,500 cardholders.