The Ziegfeld Club
- New York
The mission of the Ziegfeld Club Inc. is to help indingent women of the theater. We support organizations such as Broadway Cares, Equity Fights AIDS and the Episcopal Actors Guild.
The Ziegfeld Club Inc. was established in 1936 under the aegis of Billie Burke (Mrs. Florenz Ziegfeld) and Bernard Sobel, one of Mr. Ziegfeld's chief publicists. Initially the Club was formed to promote Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's 1936 musical extravaganza, "The Great Ziegfeld". The film was a financial blockbuster and won the Academy Award for Best Film of the Year, Best Actress in a Leading Role and Best Dance Direction. Billie Burke and Bernard Sobel then chartered the Club and incorporated it as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization in compliance with Federal and New York State Laws. Its purpose became an organization focused on fundraising to help less fortunate, ex-Follies Girls. Billie Burke wanted the public to know that her late husband not only cared about the glory and glamor of the stage but also the long-term health and happiness of the women who devoted their lives to the theater.
Today, the mission of the Ziegfeld Club is to aid indigent women of the theater. We also give assistance to other individuals involved with the theater and have opened our support to men. Since 1976, it has been headquartered in the prestigious Central Presbyterian Church at 593 Park Avenue in New York City. The Club's Board of Directors meet quarterly. All members are invited to attend. Members enjoy events, fellowship, networking, and a newsletter. In addition, historical artifacts relating to The Ziegfeld Shows and the Ziegfeld Girls are preserved at the club's office.
Do you work for The Ziegfeld Club? Become an administrator