69 Main Street
The Gordon Nash Library is a private non-profit library in New Hampton, New Hampshire that is open to all residents,students and sojourners. The Gordon-Nash Library came to New Hampton through the generosity of the late Stephen Gordon Nash of Boston. The library first opened to the public in 1896 with Rev. Lewis P. Bickford serving as librarian. It was formally opened to the public, with interesting and appropriate ceremonies, June 25th, 1906. A volume entitled “New Hampton,” published shortly after that event, contains the dedicatory addresses, a poem by Mrs. Nash, and much valuable information concerning the inception and the carrying out of the far-reaching plans of the donor. The records of the corporation, also, preserve important historical matter, as well as facts of much interest concerning the later development of the library. Judge Nash seems long to have had this benefaction in mind. He was a native of this town and a graduate of the Institution. For one year he taught the classics in the school. He greatly loved this community and was, himself, respected by all. The library, therefore, which his forethought has placed in our midst is as welcome and deserved a monument to his memory as it is to that of his father and mother for whom he named it.