Comfort Care Hospice of Pelham
Comfort Care Hospice provides supportive, holistic, comfort care to terminally ill patients and their families, by implementing an individualized plan of care developed by an interdisciplary team. Volunteers serve within their own communities to enhcance the care provided.
What do non-medical hospice volunteers do? The answer is a varied as the wonderful people who volunteer.
Some volunteer activities for patient involvement include:
- Just “being there”
- Sitting with a patient and holding a hand
- Visiting with a pet and sharing favorite pet stories
- Comforting patients, families, and caregivers
- Giving the caregiver a break, so he or she can run errands
- Keeping the vigil, so no patient or caregiver is alone at death
- Helping with a scrapbook or organizing photos
- Interviewing a patient or fellow volunteer, then writing an article for publication
- Delivering birthday balloons
- Running an errand or going grocery shopping for a patient
- Writing letters, playing card or board games, etc.
- Listening to memories
- Yard work
- Changing light bulbs, light housekeeping, or some home repairs
- Playing the piano (or other instrument) or singing with/for a patient
- Being a friend, when a friend is needed most
Working in the local hospice office may include:
- Crocheting or knitting prayer shawls, lap blankets, and or chemo caps
- Creating cards or crafts for special occasions and holidays for patient and care-giver support
- Assisting with office duties – filing, sorting supplies, data entry, newsletter support, etc.
In short, our volunteers go where their talents and interests lead them. Usually they serve in their own community and set their own schedule. Most of our volunteers say they feel that they receive much more than they give.
All volunteers are provided with an orientation to hospice and hospice volunteering. Support and guidance are always available.
If you would like more information about hospice or about how to volunteer with Comfort Care Hospice, contact Libby Jones, 205-663-6887, toll free 877-231-0321,or email@example.com