Honolulu Museum of Art
The museum was founded in 1927 as the Honolulu Academy of Arts, and in July 2011, The Contemporary Museum gifted its assets and collection to the Academy, integrating the two institutions. In March 2012, the museum changed its public name to the Honolulu Museum of Art, which includes Honolulu Museum of Art Spalding House (formerly The Contemporary Museum) and the Honolulu Museum of Art School (formerly Academy Art Center at Linekona).
Today the encyclopedic art museum has a permanent collection of more than 50,000 works of art spanning 5,000 years, from the Bronze Age to the present, and the globe. With film and concert programs, lectures, an art school, gardens, two cafés and a shop, the Honolulu Museum of Art is the city’s cultural hub.