View current employment opportunities
PAWS Chicago is the city's largest No Kill humane organization, focused on solutions to end the killing of homeless pets.
On May 30, 1998, PAWS Chicago was launched with an adoption event, Angels with Tails. The event was held on the streets and in the boutiques of the Magnificent Mile where local businesses enthusiastically agreed to showcase homeless pets in their storefronts.
That single event brought the plight of homeless pets to the foreground, leading to continued public and media engagement that evolved over time:
Through it all, the growth and evolution of PAWS Chicago has been driven by public awareness and the recognition that every person can take action to help homeless pets.
This has culminated into a collective action that has had transformative results, with the killing in Chicago declining by more than 91% since PAWS Chicago’s founding.
- To build No Kill communities – starting with a No Kill Chicago – that respect and value the life of every cat and dog.
- To end the overpopulation of homeless animals through solutions, practices and education.
- To transform animal welfare by setting higher standards in the way animals are treated and developing a sustainable, solutions-based model.
- Of people and organizations committed to helping homeless pets—volunteers, employees, donors, adopters, fosters, clinic clients, corporations, small businesses, educational institutions, and government agencies.
- To constantly improve best practices and search out new ideas and strategies to save more lives.
- To be a Learning Center that evolves and grows.
- To solve difficult problems and to be prepared to offer emergency and crisis support.
- That informs the public about the fate of homeless animals.
- That allows the public access to truthful statistics about the likelihood of pets surviving private and public shelters.
- That raises awareness about the realities that homeless animals face in the community and across the nation, providing a forum for people to get involved in effecting change.
- That promotes and supports responsible pet ownership.
- Through financial management practices that maximize the impact and reach of our resources and ensure PAWS Chicago will always be a resource for homeless animals.
- Toward all people and animals.