Latin American Coalition
Who We Are
The Latin American Coalition is a community of Latin Americans, immigrants and allies that promotes full and equal participation of all people in the civic, economic and cultural life of North Carolina through integration, celebration & advocacy. Since our inception in 1990 we have stood for immigrant integration in a remarkable way- partnering with Latino families to create access, opportunity and voice, while at the same time making spaces for others to learn about and connect with newcomers to our community. Today the Latin American Coalition is North Carolina’s largest immigrant rights organization. We are pioneering a model for 21st century democracy building and inclusive community engagement in a region that has never before experienced such dramatic demographic shifts.
What We Do
The Latin American Coalition’s distinct organizational structure, including direct integration services, statewide civic engagement initiatives and cultural programs, provides a strong foundation and fertile environment for fostering a sustainable and high-impact power building strategy in North Carolina. Our unique model combines direct services, advocacy and cultural celebrations.
We empower the Latino immigrant community to become self-advocates through three direct services:
- Victims Assistance for vulnerable families who have experienced domestic violence, labor abuse, human trafficking and other civil rights violations
- Integration support for immigrants through our Neighbor to Neighbor Immigrant Welcome Center
- Immigration Law Clinic providing bilingual and low-cost legal representation for immigration cases
Our Statewide Advocacy Network promotes civic engagement and power building among immigrants through community organizing and mobilizing. We:
- track local, state and national policy
- promote civic participation through voter engagement and issue-based organizing
- mobilize and support grassroots activists with an emphasis on youth leadership development
We create welcoming spaces for people of diverse backgrounds to come together through 5 annual cultural events that promote cooperation and respect while supporting Latino artists and entrepreneurs.
- highlighting the richness and diversity of Latino cultures
- supporting local Latino entrepreneurs/artists
- bringing over 50,000 community members together through five annual cultural events
Part-Time Volunteer Coordinator - AmeriCorps Member (Volunteer Opportunity)
Full-Time Workforce Development Coordinator - AmeriCorps Member (Volunteer Opportunity)