Custer Battlefield Museum
"The museum's mission is to educate the general public on the Western Migration Movement and the Battle of the Little Bighorn. This institution collects, preserves and exhibits artifacts, beadwork, photographs, paintings, rare books, and manuscripts. The Tomb of the United States Unknown Soldier is maintained by this institution. The Museum is a non-profit 501(c)3, supported through private funding. The museum is located Where the Battle of the Little Big Horn began at Sitting Bull's camp."
A LITTLE ABOUT US: The Custer Battlefield Museum is located in Garryowen, Montana, "Where the Battle of the Little Big Horn Began." The Museum is recognized as a non-profit 501(c)3 corporation, supported exclusively through private funding. We are located on the historic site where Sitting Bull’s camp was attacked by Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer in 1876. This year will be the 137th commemoration of the Battle.
The Museum's mission is to educate the general public on the Western Migration Movement, American expansion, and the Battle of the Little Big Horn. This institution also collects, preserves, and exhibits original artifacts, Native American beadwork, photographs, paintings, and rare books and manuscripts related to Custer and the Battle and other frontier subjects. Extensive exhibits of Native American and 7th Cavalry artifacts include many items excavated from the Battlefield, as well as ephemera belonging to Sitting Bull, G.A. Custer, Tom Custer, Crazy Horse, Lewis & Clark, and other important figures of the time.
The Museum’s collection of more than one hundred D.F. Barry photographs has toured internationally and is now on permanent display. The Tomb of the United States Unknown Soldier, dedicated during the 50th anniversary of Custer’s massacre, is a highlight on the museum grounds and is maintained by this institution. During the 125th anniversary of the Battle of the Little Big Horn, a Peace Memorial monument was erected with life-sized busts of Sioux Chief Sitting Bull and 7th Cavalry General George Custer.