Deerfield River Watershed Association
DRWA is committed to pursue the following program goals for the benefit of the watershed
- Protect and monitor water quality: Our program includes macroinvertebrate sampling every fall.. Annual river clean-ups with other organizations such as the Connecticut River Source to Sea Consortium.
- Protect and monitor wildlife habitat and wetlands: We surveyed more than 20 marshes in the watershed for frogs and toads and waterbirds (grebes, rails, herons, and more). This work documents the diversity of little known wildlife communities in the watershed. See newsletter and final report.
- Protect open space to safeguard habitat, natural features, water quality and scenic beauty.
- Be an active local partner in the implementation of the Deerfield River Settlement Agreement: We correspond and meet with the other Agreement signers and participate in negotiations around new threats to the river, and cultivate a good working relationship with the power companies.
- Improve watershed stewardship by the public through education and recreational opportunities;for example at the annual Riverfest in Shelburne Falls, occasional forums,and maintenance of an eight-mile portion of the Mahican-Mohawktrail (Deerfield to Shelburne).
- Encourage watershed/environmental education in local schools. We sponsor a mini-grant program for watershed schools.
Do you work for Deerfield River Watershed Association? Become an administrator