The Veterans Museum & Memorial Center was chartered to serve five categories of function:
- Serve as a host to programs that perpetuate the memories of deceased veterans or members of the United States Armed Forces and to comfort their survivors.
- Serve as a home for programs for charitable, scientific, literary or educational purposes that promote public awareness concerning the sacrifices and contributions of men and women who serve and have served in the Armed forces.
- Serve as a venue for services and social and recreational activities for veterans, active duty personnel, and the general public, which are compatible with other purposes of the Veterans Museum & Memorial Center.
- Serve as a the regular meeting place for many of the San Diego region's veterans and active-duty military organizations.
- Serve as a museum presenting permanent, rotating and visiting exhibits of patriotic, military and war-related memorabilia, artifacts, photographs, and other artwork.