FXB USA, Inc.
FXB is an international development organization with a 28-year history of breaking the cycle of poverty. Present in 13 countries with a staff of 450 collaborators, FXB’s mission is to help the poorest of the poor escape poverty and establish sustainable livelihoods that give them hope and dignity.
Since 1989, 17 million adults and children have benefitted from FXB’s community development, infrastructure rehabilitation, education, HIV/AIDS and other diseases prevention, awareness and access to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programs in over 20 countries. FXB has four pillars of intervention: Community Development Program FXBVillage, health, education, and women’s and children’s protection.
- The Community Development Program FXBVillage helps families permanently escape extreme poverty by addressing five interconnected drivers of poverty: nutrition, health, education, housing, and economic empowerment. FXB has developed 172 FXBVillage programs, pioneering and integrated interventions, across nine countries – Burundi, China, Colombia, DRC, India, Mongolia, Rwanda, Thailand and Uganda – helping more than 84,000 people out of extreme poverty.
- Education: Education component of the FXBVillage program; life skills development and vocational training projects, in India, Myanmar and South Africa.
- Health: Health component of the FXBVillage program; HIV/AIDS related programs in India and Myanmar, and WASH programs in Niger, India, Rwanda and Uganda.
- Women’s and Children’s Protection: Our protection programs aim to prevent and reduce all forms of violence and insecurity, ensuring a safe, secure and protective environment for children and women within its intervention geography. FXB also promotes women’s empowerment and gender equality as key factors to fighting poverty. FXB implements protection programs in Myanmar, India, Rwanda and South Africa.
FXB Country Offices are led exclusively by local staff and are locally registered community-based organizations. FXB headquarters in Geneva, New York, and Paris work closely with the field staff to build their capacities in areas such as administration, finance, fundraising, monitoring and evaluation, and communication.
FXB USA currently supports FXB’s global mission by:
- Raising awareness about the importance of integrated community-led development solutions to eradicate poverty and reach the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through representing FXB in coalitions of International Non-Governmental Organizations and engaging in the global development dialogue;
- Striving to identify program innovations, and connecting to program partners;
- Providing evidence-based technical assistance on program design, monitoring, evaluation and learning, and communication;
- Mobilizing resources to make strategic investments in FXB programs around the world; and
- Leading the FXBVillage programs in Colombia and Panama.
To do so, FXB USA aims to engage governments, foundations, and corporations in making a difference for the most vulnerable communities. One key partnership is with the FXB Center for Health and Human Rights at Harvard University (FXB Center), the only university-wide human rights center promoting the advancement of cross-disciplinary research and policy.
Within the FXB USA sphere of organizations are the FXB Building at the Department of Aerospace Engineering at University of Michigan and the endowed FXB Chair in Pediatric Allergy, Immunology and Infectious Diseases established at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, USA (now Rutgers). (http://usa.fxb.org/history/)