Health & Disability Advocates
205 West Randolph Street, Suite 510
Chicago, IL 60606
HDA catalyzes federal, state and local policies that promote economic and health care security for people with disabilities and older adults.
Our History…HDA was founded by community leaders who came together as a part of the national movement to modernize Social Security disability income programs in the 1990’s. Early on we recognized that the economic “health” of low income populations was intrinsically linked to health care security, so HDA grounds its policy and advocacy work at the intersection of economic and health care security.
Our Mission…HDA builds better policies for health, disability and employment.
Our Work… HDA builds solutions by building capacity with expert training and technical assistance; HDA improves systems through public policy; and HDA advocates for individuals and families.
Our Vision…We envision a future where health, housing, work and education are better integrated for people with disabilities and complex health needs, and where all people are supported in pursuit of opportunities for earning, learning, and achieving wellness in vibrant, thriving communities.
- Our innovative work with Military & Veteran Families has been recognized by the White House, the Department of Defense and the National Guard.
- Our statewide events for families of the fallen are fun, empowering ways to come together, honor our heroes and help families thrive.
- We consulted with more than 40 states on the intersection of employment and publicly funded health care services and supports like Medicaid & Medicare.
- Our Think Beyond the Label disability employment initiative is an award winning cross-sector collaborative that helps businesses and the public workforce system more effectively recruit, hire and retain job seekers with disabilities across 50 states.
- We’ve been featured in diverse media outlets such as The New York Times, CSPAN, Crain’s Chicago Business, BBC News, Businessweek, Kaiser Health News, CBS2, Modern Healthcare, Chicago Sun-Times, Inc., WBEZ, Wall Street Journal, WTTW, Huffington Post, Chicago Tribune, ABC7, Associated Press, WGN, Huffington Post and The Chronicle of Philanthropy.