Adelphi chamber Orchestra
The mission of the Adelphi Chamber Orchestra is: v to inspire and transform our community through music v to perform a diverse repertoire of music at a high level v to advance the orchestral arts through education, commissions, and community partnerships. Wiithin the orchestra, we create a challenging and enjoyable environment where artistic excellence can flourish.
The Adelphi Chamber Orchestra is the oldest chamber orchestra in Northern New Jersey and has lived up to its statement of purpose, i.e., "to foster good music." From its first concert performed for the public on May 23, 1953, the Orchestra has met its goal offering three or more stimulating musical programs each year while maintaining high standards of musicianship and directing by many outstanding permanent or guest conductors.
Encouragement over the years has been given to numerous talented young musicians in the form of scholarships and for the opportunity to play or solo with the Orchestra. Contributions and grants have defrayed operational costs making concert admissions free to the public. 1952 a few local, talented string players and pianists banded together to play duets, trios and quartets for enjoyment. They met at Roy and Ella Schmidt’s music studio in Maywood, New Jersey. Within a brief span, their repertoire included performances of quintets, octets and small orchestral pieces.
As the orchestra grew, it moved to the Central Unitarian Church, where the orchestra rehearsed and performed through the 53rd year season. The Adelphi Chamber Orchestra now rehearses and performs at River Dell Regional Schools. Over the decades, the Adelphi has been directed by a number of distinguished conductors. The orchestra, is unique in that it still presents free concerts at the Unitarian Church. As a public service, the Adelphi has given concerts at the Actor’s Fund Home in Englewood and the Cupola in Ridgewood. Musicians from the Adelphi Chamber Orchestra can be heard at various libraries in Bergen County. The Adelphi Chamber Orchestra has been a recipient of a Bergen County Arts Grant since 2006 and received a certificate of commendation in recognition of its constant commitment and dedication to the residents and communities in Bergen County.
The mission of the Adelphi remains as it was in 1953, to foster the enjoyment and understanding of fine music.