Seattle Teacher Residency
509 Olive Way
Income, language, and race too often predict academic achievement in Seattle. Schools can and must be an important means to change this inequity and improve educational outcomes for students. The Seattle Teacher Residency deepens this commitment by recruiting, preparing, and supporting teachers equipped to make sure that each student excels and feels connected to the school community, regardless of circumstance.
Join the Seattle Teacher Residency and gain the tools needed to become an effective teacher in the classroom. Earn a generous stipend, a Master in Teaching degree from the University of Washington, and the opportunity to change the lives of students in impacted communities in Seattle Public Schools.
Whether you’re an undergraduate student preparing to get your Master’s degree in education or a professional changing careers, we encourage you to apply to become a STR Resident. Our mission: to accelerate student achievement through the preparation, support and retention of a group of exceptional teachers in Seattle Public Schools whose diversity reflects the demographics of their students. Together we can make a difference. Join us.
To apply for the Seattle Teacher Residency program, you must:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree by the time the program starts
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Meet UW admission requirements including endorsement standards and state required competencies
- Successfully complete the WEST-B test before the application deadline
- Be legally authorized to work in the United States
This is an entry-level position and no prior teaching experience is required to complete the program.
- Receive a Washington state teaching certificate
- Matched with a mentor teacher for a year-long apprenticeship in Seattle Public Schools
- Master's in Teaching degree from the University of Washington
- Graduate level coursework aligned with field experience
- Upon successful completion of the program, candidates may be offered a teaching contract with Seattle Public Schools
Candidates commit to working in Seattle Public Schools for 5 years after their Residency year.
The Seattle Teacher Residency has one application cycle per year, with applications due in January for a June start. The application deadline for the 2018-19 academic year is January 19, 2018.
Apply and learn more at www.seattleteacherresidency.org.
Do you work for Seattle Teacher Residency? Become an administrator