Army Distaff Foundation
The Army Distaff Foundation was established in 1959 to create an affordable, secure retirement facility for Army Widows. Under the leadership of Mrs. Maxwell Taylor and Mrs. Hoy Davis, funds were raised by officers’ wives’ clubs worldwide, ground was broken and Distaff Hall became a reality in 1962, with full occupancy one year later. Built on 16 beautiful acres of land northwest of DC, Distaff Hall provided a dignified life for this special group of women.
The mission of the Army Distaff Foundation/Knollwood is to provide affordable, secure retirement housing and health care services to retired career officers of all uniformed services and their female relatives. Residency at Knollwood is never limited by one’s financial resources.