eScape California, also known as the Bay-Friendly Landscaping & Gardening Coalition, is an advocate and expert in the creation of sustainable landscapes for commercial, multi-family, and
public spaces as well as single-family residences.
We address the following challenges:
- California’s water supply is limited and under increasing pressure. Up to 30% of urban water use goes to landscaping.
- Landfill space is scarce and there are significant economic and environmental costs to transporting and landfilling plant debris. In Alameda County alone, 110,000 tons of plant debris goes to the landfill each year.
- Local creeks and the bay are impacted by inappropriate use of pesticides, affecting human health and wildlife populations.
- Traditional landscape construction and maintenance practices of mow, shear, and blow contribute to greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution.
- Biodiversity, ecosystem services, and aesthetic values of Bay Area natural resources are at risk.