Swansea University is a research-led university that has been making a difference since 1920. The University community thrives on exploration and discovery, and offers the right balance of excellent teaching and research, matched by an enviable quality of life.
The University has enjoyed a period of tremendous growth, and we have achieved our ambition to be a top thirty research University, soaring up the 2014 Research Excellence Framework league table to 26th in the UK from 52nd in 2008.
Research-led and practice-driven teaching helps to ensure that the University's degrees are relevant to the modern world. Swansea University has a growing reputation for undertaking world-class research across many areas of its academic portfolio, and for seeking opportunities for staff research expertise to inform course content.
The University aims to ensure that the relationship between research, practice, and teaching is developed over time so that it evolves as a fundamental part of the University's planning at institution, College, Department, and course curriculum levels.
Students taught by staff who bring their latest research findings into the lecture theatre
- are likely to be more engaged with the subject, and to find that the way they are taught keeps it alive, relevant, and up-to-date.
- find it particularly memorable and inspirational to be taught new theories and to put new technologies into practice as they are being developed.
- benefit from a combination of approaches to research-led and practice-driven teaching.
- are stimulated by course content that has been determined by their lecturers' research interests.
- are able to contribute to their communities in a meaningful and productive way