Back Porch Radio Broadcasting, Inc.
WORT 89.9 FM is a listener-sponsored community radio station, broadcasting from 118 S. Bedford St. in Madison, Wisconsin, USA. WORT offers a whole host of programming made possible by listener sponsors.
Our volunteers and staff provide quality programming and services to a broad spectrum of the community through:
- promotion of communication, education, entertainment, and understanding by providing a forum for both the discussion of public issues and the expansion of musical and cultural experience;
- facilitation of community expression and provision of community access to the airwaves for the purpose of sharing music, culture, news, and information;
- challenge of the cultural and intellectual assumptions of our listeners through unique and diverse programming;
- orientation towards the audience with concern for those under-represented by other media.
WORT is committed to radio programming with a human perspective—respecting all peoples and their environments.
Our FM signal reaches a roughly 50-mile radius around Madison. The station began webcasting all of its music, news and public affairs programs in 2005.
WORT maintains membership or affiliation with a number of organizations, including:
- Pacifica Network (affiliate station)
- National Federation of Community Radio Broadcasters (NFCB)
- AMARC (World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters)
- Grassroots Radio Coalition; WORT hosted the GRC-5 and GRC-12conferences.
- Public Radio International (PRI)
- Wisconsin Broadcasters Association (WBA)