Bay Area Habitat for Humanity - Houston Inc.
MISSION STATEMENT Bay Area Habitat for Humanity seeks to put God’s love into action bringing people together to build homes, communities and hope.
Bay Area Habitat for Humanity is the only non-profit home builder in the Galveston, Southeast Harris and Northern Brazoria County area partnering with families to build quality, safe, affordable and energy efficient homes with zero percent interest mortgages. We pride ourselves as being a front runner in the solution to the massive problem of an inadequate stock of affordable housing in our area. Our program focuses on helping the families we serve become self-sufficient and constructive members of the community contributing to the City, County and School Taxes.
We can not do it alone; Bay Area Habitat for Humanity has made the commitment to focus on collaborating with local municipalities, other non-profits and social service agencies and local business owners to work towards achieving our goal to not only serve families in need, but to also revitalize the Texas Gulf Coast one community at a time.
There is a huge need in Galveston and South east Harris Counties. According to the 2010 Census Bureau:
- 39.9% of families are living below 50% of the area median income
- The median rent in the community is $751
- The percentage of low income renter households paying more than 30% of monthly income on housing (cost burdened) is 43.3%
Bay Area Habitat for Humanity is the solution to the lack of quality affordable rental units and the hardships families face with when qualifying for traditional home loans. We qualify families based on need, the ability to re-pay the zero percent interest loan and the desire to partner with us. We work with families earning between 45% and 60% or less than the area median income. Our homeowners work full time in jobs such as school maintenance or cafeteria workers, home health workers, grocery store workers and more. These families are hardworking and deserving of a chance at affordable homeownership.
- Families earn equity and credit in lieu of large down payments by working 300 “sweat equity” hours.
- Families take budgeting and financial literacy classes
- The cost of homes are kept down due to tremendous volunteer participation.
- Homes are sold at cost with zero percent interest loans making monthly payments affordable, in most cases lower than what families are paying for current rental units.
- Families are screened by our staff, a Family Selection Committee and finally our Board of Directors. We pride ourselves in selecting families that are willing to partner and work hard to make better futures for themselves and their children.
Do you work for Bay Area Habitat for Humanity - Houston Inc.? Become an administrator