Al-Bustan Seeds of Culture
Al-Bustan Seeds of Culture is dedicated to presenting and teaching Arab culture through the arts and language.
“Al-Bustan,” Arabic for “The Garden,” offers youth and adults structured exposure to the language, art, music, dance, literature, and natural environment of the Arab world.
What began as a two-week summer camp for 18 children in 2002, has since grown to an array of year-round programs for youth and adults of all backgrounds, with Al-Bustan now recognized as a leading Arab arts organization in America. Our core values embrace the importance of language, role of the arts, artistic quality, and cultural production, as we seek to promote cross-cultural awareness and exchange.
• Summer Camp: annual language and cultural day camp for children of
diverse backgrounds (scholarships offered), with an integrated language, arts
and nature study curriculum organized around Arab cultural/historical
• Arab Music Program:
• presenting and teaching music through instruction in percussion, singing, and general Arab music appreciation in several Philadelphia public schools, at University of Pennsylvania, and with community choirs
• presenting A-Bustan Concert Series, featuring internationally renowned guest artists from varied disciplines who are invited for week-long residencies to collaborate with Al-Bustan Takht Ensemble and engage in educational programs with youth and adults in the community
• School-based Program: includes literary and visual arts and language instruction in weekly classes in/after-school at Philadelphia public schools, along with residencies and demonstrations at various schools in/around Philadelphia
• Professional Development: a week-long course on Arab arts and culture for music and Arabic language educators held in the summer, along with workshops at various times in the year
• Educational Resources: development of printed and interactive digital educational resources available online at Al-Bustan Digital Education: www.albustanseeds.org/digital