Phoenix Bikes’ mission is to educate youth, promote bicycling, and build community. Phoenix Bikes has supported local youth in the DC Metro area since 2007 – providing a safe, nurturing and educational environment that reinforces teamwork, hard work, and entrepreneurship through bike maintenance education programs. Since our launch, we have had the opportunity to engage over 2000 youth, with over 700 earning their own bikes so far.
Local youth are invited to participate in bike refurbishment and retail operations as they contribute to the daily operations of the Phoenix Bikes shop located in South Arlington, VA, leaving with tangible mechanic and business management skills as well as scores of other success skills for life.
Organized by a dedicated group of local citizens and cyclists, the non-profit was built around the remnants of Community Spokes – a community bike shop sponsored by the Arlington County Department of Parks and Recreation – which remains an active sponsor of the organization.
Looking forward, we are planning to extend our community impact through the expansion of our community bike shop and programs for both youth and adults. We are currently increasing our supply of bikes to local human services agencies and supplementing our youth development curriculum with additional training, mentorship, and leadership opportunities.
Phoenix Bikes educates youth, promotes bicycling, and builds community.
Build young leaders, sweet bikes & healthy communities.
- Opportunity: We are committed to social justice and providing equal access to bicycling as a means of transportation and recreation. We also believe in bringing new experiences and skills to all youth to promote a strong start in life.
- Sustainability: We operate with a sound business model and best practices of nonprofit management to ensure Phoenix Bikes is a community asset for decades to come. As stewards of the environment, we make “being green”, such as recycling and reusing materials, a daily habit.
- Collaboration: Teamwork is the basis for how we work together. We value our volunteers and seek partnerships within the bicycling and nonprofit community to increase our effectiveness and help others do the same.
- Spirit: Our shop and off-site programs are fun and welcoming places where innovation and creativity are encouraged. We actively celebrate the successes of our youth and those in our community.
- Grit: We believe in hard work and strive for excellence in everything we do, persevering through setbacks. Our goal is to continuously improve our programs and customer experience.
Executive Director (Job)
Program Assistant (Job)