LA Forward unites a rising generation of progressive Angelenos with the organizers and policy experts who’ve been in the trenches for years — in order to build a powerful movement for a just, democratic, and sustainable world.
Successfully resisting attacks on democracy and justice starts close to home. Los Angeles seems poised to lead the resistance, but our corner of the world isn’t always as progressive as we might think. Local social justice coalitions often lack power to overcome privileged special interests.
LA Forward is changing that by tapping the energy of a rising generation, squeezed between an insecure economy and exorbitant housing costs, saddled with college debt and an uncertain future. We’re a generation that sees our values and interests intertwine with those who’ve long struggled to get by—immigrants, working people, communities of color.
We are channeling this year’s flood of activism into an organizing network that methodically develops grassroots leadership. In places that have lacked a deep social justice base (e.g., Westside, Northeast LA, San Fernando Valley, SGV, Southeast LA County), we will mobilize thousands of Angelenos for struggles to:
- Build a vibrant city around public space and transit with affordable housing for all, where people of diverse classes, ethnicities, and cultures form communities together
- Combat climate change and urban pollution
- Transform unjust policing and incarceration systems
- Legalize street vending and defend immigrants
- Guarantee rights and dignity for all workers, including independent contractors
- Fund universal healthcare and education with fair-share taxation