Union Gospel Mission of Portland
Union Gospel Mission was founded in 1927, when 40 area churches came together seeking to minister to the homeless on the streets of Portland. After the Mission was organized in November of 1927, a chapel at NE 3rd & Ankeny was dedicated. Reverend Newsom, former Director of the Mission wrote, “On Sunday afternoon, January 1, 1928, crowded with Christians from many churches and denominations, the chapel was dedicated for the purpose of presenting Christ to defeated, homeless men. That evening the first Gospel service was held.”
From that beginning Union Gospel Mission has been serving the homeless, the hopeless and those in need consistently since that first chapel service in 1928. In 1937, Union Gospel Mission purchased a building at 15 NW Third Avenue, and 70 years later the Mission expanded to include the LifeChange Center at 3 NW Third Avenue.
Today, Union Gospel Mission is dedicated to “Feeding the hungry, restoring the addict, and loving our neighbor.”