Ratna Ling Buddhist Retreat Center
Ratna Ling, a non-profit intentional community in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, is dedicated to serving the welfare of others and cultivating work as a means to self-knowledge through a wide variety of projects both local and global. We live and work in the redwood coastal hills of Sonoma County, CA. This year-round residential volunteer opportunity combines meaningful work with opportunities for self-growth.
Our faculty and staff consists of full-time resident volunteers who work for one of three organizations on site, Ratna Ling Retreat Center, Dharma Publishing and Yeshe De Text Preservation project. Volunteers come from all walks of life from across the U.S. to South America and Europe. Around 20-30 volunteers live and work at Ratna Ling, forming a small community of bright minds and generous hearts dedicated to the mission of the Tibetan Nyingma Meditation Centers (TNMC.) The TNMC mission is two-fold, first to preserve the Tibetan Buddhist culture and second, to establish the Dharma in the West. Funds raised at Ratna Ling go to support our sister organizations whose projects and activities work to preserve the Tibetan Buddhist culture. This includes the Yeshe De project, which produces rare Buddhist teachings and distributes them to monasteries around the world.
As a volunteer in our residential volunteer program, you will receive:
- Free housing in a cozy cabin with private bath, outdoor deck, gas fireplace (2-3 persons per cabin).
- Free vegetarian meals (make your own breakfast), tea and coffee
- Free laundry facilities, Wi-Fi and domestic phone calls
- Monthly living allowance of $150 per month
- Free morning and evening classes in a variety of Buddhist studies, Meditation, Skillful Means (how work can be a path to inner knowledge), Buddhist history and philosophy, and Kum Nye (Tibetan Yoga/Thai Chi). Some of these classes are guided while others are self-study with materials available.
- Opportunity to engage in an environment where meaningful work and self-development are valued
- Clean, fresh air, wide-open spaces, natural beauty, close proximity to hiking trails and the Pacific Ocean
Our weekly schedule is rigorous--6 days a week--and rewarding! This is a unique opportunity to get away from the daily grind, unplug, and live surrounded by nature, with little to no cell service but plenty of books, quiet spaces, and more stars at night than you can count.
No religious affiliation is required to volunteer although we are seeking those with a sincere interest in Buddhism and a strong work ethic. The initial commitment for this program is 6 months to 1 year with a 4-week trial period. For those who find our community and lifestyle a good fit, longer term commitments are possible.
Buddhist Text Preservation Project Live/Work (Volunteer Opportunity)
Work and Live at a Buddhist Retreat Center in Northern California (Volunteer Opportunity)