Action of Greater Lansing
201 W. Miller Rd.
Lansing, MI 48911
Action of Greater Lansing addresses root causes of community problems by organizing for systemic change. We hold public officials accountable to make needed systemic changes that will improve the lives of many in the community simultaneously. We accomplish our goals by building powerful relationships in the community and organizing for direct action. Action is an affiliate of Gamaliel of Michigan and the Gamaliel Network.We work on local, state and national issues to effectively address the challenging social concerns that our congregations, institutions and communities are faced with. Action is a coalition of 16 (and growing!) diverse congregations from the Greater Lansing area that come together to address gaps within the local social systems. Through a very specific 3-step annual process, Action members identify a community concern, research that concern, and use a direct action model to get specific commitments for action from responsible public officials. Utilizing this strategy, Action of Greater Lansing wins 1-3 issues every year in the local community.
Our current focus areas include:
- Michigan Power to Thrive: Bringing together both public health and community organizing to better address fair access to healthcare in our state. Focusing on mass incarceration, mass deportation and early childhood education policy with a racial & health equity lens.
- Access Task Force: Organizing to make Lansing a more accessible and inclusive community for people with physical, intellectual, and psychological challenges.
- Children’s Health Equity & Access (CHEA) Task Force: The purpose of CHEA is to improve local access for quality subspecialty health care for chronically ill children in the Lansing area. CHEA organizes with Sparrow and the MSU Colleges of Human Medicine and Osteopathic Medicine to hire local physicians and to co-locate a children’s sub-specialty clinic in Lansing.
- Education Task Force: For the last two years, the Education Task Force has been hard at work building a statewide network focused on early childhood education. Our first step is ending preschool expulsion. We are hosting viewings of "The Raising of America" with elected officials, and advocating for proper education funding and family support for quality child care.
- Green & Healthy Homes (GHHI): Green and Health Homes Initiative Lansing improves health, economic and educational outcomes for families. GHHI uses a whole-house approach to eliminate lead hazards and asthma triggers, and aims to improve energy use and home safety.
- Civil Rights for Immigrants (CRI) Task Force: Action works with organizations across the nation to reform America's immigration laws and ensure civil rights for all people, native born and immigrant. From informational conferences to organized bus trips for rallies in Washington D.C., CRI works to ensure the all immigrant families in Lansing have a community voice heard by national ears.
Do you work for Action of Greater Lansing? Become an administrator