The University of Queensland
The University of Queensland, Australia
Ranked among the top 100* universities in the world, The University of Queensland (UQ) is one of Australia's finest higher education institutions with:
- more awards for teaching excellence than any other Australian university
- exceptional program choice across a wide range of study areas at undergraduate, postgraduate and research higher degree levels
- opportunities for students to gain practical experience and make valuable connections with prospective employers through internships and work placements
- the chance to study part of their degree overseas at one of the University’s many partner institutions
You will enjoy a diverse community of over 48,700 students, including over 11,400 international students from 142 different countries across the globe.
Where is UQ?
UQ has four campuses in and around Brisbane, the capital city of the state of Queensland. It is the third largest city in Australia, after Sydney and Melbourne, and it has a multicultural population of around two million.
It has all the advantages of a large modern city, yet it retains the friendliness and charm of a small regional town.
An hour’s drive south of the city, you will find the golden beaches and theme parks of the Gold Coast. North from Brisbane you will find the Sunshine Coast beaches, national parks, rainforests and attractions like Australia Zoo. Just off the coast you will find the pristine Stradbroke and Moreton Islands, both popular day-trip and holiday destinations for locals and visitors alike.
UQ is a founding member of the national Group of Eight, a leading group of Australian universities that conducts a significant portion of all university research in Australia, as well as one of only three Australian universities to be a member of the global Universitas 21, an alliance allowing UQ to offer students unique opportunities to participate in student exchanges and events throughout the world.
At UQ, you can take advantage of some of the most flexible study options on offer with many programs offering mid-year intake. Visit www.uq.edu.au/study for more information.
According to the QS World University Subject Rankings 2014, six of UQ’s subject disciplines are ranked in the world’s top 20 – education (10), environmental sciences (11), psychology (14), agriculture and forestry (18), English language and literature (20) and chemical engineering (20). A further four disciplines are included in the world’s top 40. These include: biological sciences (21), sociology (22), geography (26), and materials science (41).
Choose from UQ's high-quality programs and courses in the following areas of study:
- Agribusiness, Agriculture, Environment and Science
- Business, Economics, Law and Tourism
- Engineering, Architecture and Planning, and Information Technology
- Humanities, Education, Psychology and Music
In addition, the University has eight world-class research institutes, and researchers whose innovations are having a global impact.
The UQ Advantage Award program offers undergraduate students the opportunity to realise their aspirations and enhance their research, leadership and cultural communication skills to ensure they are competitive in the employment market. It combines participation in a range of co-curricular activities across three core categories: Global and Cultural Engagement, Research and Entrepreneurship and Social Responsibility and Leadership.
The University of Queensland aims to help international students settle in to Australia as easily as possible so that they can enjoy the best possible study experience. UQ offers:
- free airport pick-up service, and UQ Accommodation Services can help organise somewhere for you to live
- comprehensive orientation programs where students can find out about Australia and the education system
- help with study techniques and English language learning
- range of other support, including student counselling, career advice and health services
- 2013-2014; 43 QS World University Rankings|63 Times Higher Education Rankings 2013-14 | 85 Academic Ranking of World Universities
CRICOS Provider Number: 00025B