Going Coastal is a nonprofit dedicated to clean, safe and accessible waterways. Our programs promote understanding, appreciation, enjoyment and preservation of coastal and waterfront resources. We accomplish our mission by publishing books and other materials,producing exhibits and events, and developing educational and community outreach programs.
To date it has:
- "Greening Main Street" energy and water conservation demonstration project of a 100-year-old historic building on the Catskill Watershed, Hudson River Estuary.
- Urban Edible Garden demonstrating companion plantings for pollinators and birds
- develop safe, accessible blueway trail network of landings and launches for paddlers on south shore of Long Island.
- kept thousands of gallons of sewage out of local waters with our pumpout boat Eco Pal I, covering Western Long Island Sound including Eastchester, Little Neck and Flushing Bays.
- mapped over 100 safe water access points from Sandy Hook to Yonkers for the NY-NJ Harbor Estuary Paddling Guides, 20,000 maps distributed.
- raised awareness of the NY-NJ Harbor Estuary among hundreds of residents and visitors, along with youth groups, by creating two GPS-led earthcache trails at Inwood Hill Park and Liberty State Park. Begin this incredible environmental treasure hunt at earthcache.org.
- analyzed ways to reduce stormwater runoff at 50 marinas and boat clubs in our Green Edges, Blue Waters initiative and created a pollution prevention toolkit for marina operators.
- conducts Fish Smart Education programs for fishers and families raising awareness of safe consumption of locally caught fish and shellfish.
- launched Maritime NY interactive map showcasing NYC's maritime cultural heritage sites.
- published GOING COASTAL NEW YORK CITY, 2nd edition of their guide to the waterfront of the five boroughs, in partnership with Fordham University Press.
- reached 100,000 recreational boaters about Clean Boating in New York State.
- operated Coastal Information Exchange each season to raise awareness of the immense value of our waterfront resources.
- returned to print the WPA's "A Maritime History of New York"
Going Coastal is a nonprofit dedicated to clean, safe and accessible waterways. Our programs promote understanding, appreciation, enjoyment and preservation of coastal and waterfront resources. We accomplish our mission by publishing…