Mon Youth Progressive Organization
The Mon Youth Progressive Organization, MYPO, is an independent youth organization which was founded by the youth and students from different places in Mon State with the goals; supporting for democracy, human rights and building a strong civil society for peaceful and democratic change in Burma in 1999. It is temporarily located in Sangkhlaburi in Thai-Burma border. The members of the MYPO are students and grass-root activists who are interested in social and political change in Mon State particularly. Additionally, it is a member of the Student and Youth Congress of Burma [SYCB] which is based in Mae Sot. The activities of the MYPO are such as empowerment Program, Networking Program, Rights based comapaign program and home library. Most of these activities are operated inside Burma, especially, in Mon State. MYPO also coorperated with other ethnic youth and democratic forces for regional and international advocacy.
The MYPO commits to strive for political, social and cultural transformations guaranteed to peace, equality and liberty to the people of Mon State, Burma.
The MYPO is dedicated to build strong relationships between youth-based organizations in partnership and cooperation with community based organizations. It stands as a dynamic Mon Political alternative force and complete it mission by strengthening.
- To support the struggle for democracy and equal rights for ethnic nationalities
- To upgrade youth and grass-root activists as alternative political forces
- Strengthening networking and cooperation among youth and community-based organizations
- Trying to set up a core group among different organization
- To preserve and promote Mon literacy and culture