Alfred Street Baptist Church
301 South Alfred Street
Alfred Street Baptist Church traces its origins to 1803, during the period when Thomas Jefferson served as the third president of the United States. The church is the first black Baptist church created north of Richmond, Virginia. In 1815, its numbers grew when slaves from Mount Vernon Plantation joined the Colored Baptist Society. During 1818, members of the Colored Baptist Society were able to rent property at 313 South Alfred Street to hold their meetings. After 18 years of renting, they purchased the site in September 1842. Over the years, Alfred Street has been a leader among churches and has made significant contributions in education, missions, children ministries, and advancement of women. Alfred Street was among the first churches to ordain women as deacons (1979) and the first in Virginia to ordain an African American woman minister (1980). Since then, the church has licensed or ordained 12 female ministers. Alfred Street, with a membership of over 6,000, continues a legacy of worldwide leadership as we strive to Make Disciples To Win the World for Christ.
Do you work for Alfred Street Baptist Church? Become an administrator