Cyclovia in Tucson
Cyclovia gives people from the greater Tucson region the chance to enjoy great weather, see neighbors, friends and people from throughout the area, and get a little exercise – all on city streets that will be closed to car traffic and open to walkers, joggers, cyclists, skaters and all other forms of people-powered movement.
Motor vehicles will be detoured from the route allowing everyone the freedom to enjoy “open streets” safely and comfortably. Cyclovia isn’t a race, parade or competition. Instead, it’s a chance to enjoy Tucson from a new perspective (outside of the car). Walk your dog, roller skate, blow bubbles. Have fun because during Cyclovia, the streets are yours!
Why have a Cyclovia in Tucson? Because Tucson has a lot of streets and it’s not everyday that you can be in them car-free and care-free. Take your whole family out for this great opportunity to explore and experience Tucson’s roads without the presence of cars.
What is a Cyclovia?
Cyc˙lo˙via (/ˌsiːklɵˈviː.ə/) n. A Spanish word signifying the temporary closure of a network of streets to cars so that they become “open” to people. During Cyclovia anyone can bike, walk, skate and participate in fun, free activities.
One of the first and largest cyclovias in the world is held in Bogotá, Colombia. Every Sunday and holiday, every week of the year, the city closes down over 70 miles of roadways to cars to invite people to bike, walk, talk, exercise, picnic, sunbathe, etc. in the streets. People from all backgrounds come together in this beautiful community-inspiring event.
The Cyclovia Planning Committee developed 6 important goals to guide the development of Cyclovia. Below are the 6 goals:
- Enhance the brand and identity of Greater Tucson as a progressive urban community
- Increase the health and activity of Greater Tucson area residents
- Promote and increase awareness for cycling and walking as an acceptable and safe mode of travel on public streets
- Increase neighborhood mobility, livability and access
- Provide a unique and sociable fun experience for citizens
- Provide a free public event affordable for all