Pedals for Progress
Pedals for Progress envisions a day when:
1. North America recycles over half of the 5 million used bicycles discarded each year, as well as unused parts and accessories for reuse overseas.
2. Poor people in developing countries have bicycles to get to work, obtain services, and meet other needs.
3. The bicycle is an effective tool for self-help in all developing countries.
4. Trade regulations enhance international commerce in bicycles and parts.
5. Policy makers in developing countries respect and support non-motorized transportation.
Our objectives are:
1. To enhance the productivity of low-income workers overseas where reliable, environmentally sound transportation is scarce, by supplying reconditioned bikes at low cost.
2. To promote in recipient communities the establishment of self-sustaining bicycle repair facilities, employing local people.
3. To provide leadership and innovation throughout North America for the recycling of bicycles, parts, and accessories.
4. To reduce dramatically the volume of bicycles, parts, and accessories flowing to landfills.
5. To foster environmentally sound transportation policies that encourage widespread use of bicycles worldwide.
6. To foster in the North American public an understanding of and a channel for responding to the transportation needs of the poor in developing countries. approved 12/08/96