Community Food & Agriculture Coalition (CFAC)
CFAC is a local food policy coalition that identifies assets and needs related to building a vibrant local food system and pursues solutions through collaboration, policy advocacy, and innovative projects.
CFAC envisions a future where houses, farms, and ranches thrive together; people are well-fed and food secure; family farms are supported within a community food system; and beginning farmers and ranchers can access agricultural land to feed the rest of us.
- That local food systems promote health, economic opportunity, quality of life, sense of community and place, and ecological sustainability.
- That the dominant, corporate-controlled food system is unsustainable and has taken decision-making around food and agriculture out of our hands.
- That a well functioning, local food system must rely on the strength of each component of that system and that each element needs attention.
- That our community should be proactive about adopting policies and planning for a safe and secure local food system for the future.
- That meaningful civic engagement is an important tool to promote a sustainable local food system.
- That all people should have access to healthy food and that all farmers, ranchers and local businesses should be fairly compensated for their labor and investment.
CFAC develops and strengthens Missoula County’s food system and that of the surrounding region by:
- Promoting sustainable agriculture;
- Building regional self-reliance;
- Assuring that all have equal access to nutritious, affordable and culturally appropriate food;
- Advocating for local, state and national policies that promote our local food system.