Women in Cities International
WICI is a non-profit network organisation, based in Montreal, Canada, that focuses on gender equality and the participation of women and girls in urban development. WICI is dedicated to the identification, study, and dissemination of good practices, tools and intervention models.
With its partners, WICI facilitates knowledge- and experience-sharing on the improvement of women's and girls' safety and status in cities and communities. WICI specialises in the organisation of networking and training events, the advancement of technical expertise, and the production of research in order to achieve its goals. The main objectives ofWICI are:
- To develop an international exchange network on (a) women's participation in urban
development and on (b) the inclusion of gender in municipal politics
- To facilitate the sharing of expertise, training, and good practices
- To encourage exchange between different actors (women's groups, nongovernmental
organisations, cities and municipalities, academic institutions, private sector institutions,
the media, international bodies, etc.)
- To promote exchange between local authorities on issues of gender equality and women's
and girls' participation in urban development
- To advise local governments, and national and international bodies working in the fields
of gender equality and urban development.