Casa de Clara Catholic Worker
Casa de Clara is a Catholic Worker house of hospitality in San Jose, CA, rooted in Jesus’ vision of God’s Reign among us, committed to a shared life of prayer and action in joyful service to people on the margins.
Our ministries include transitional housing for women and children experiencing homelessness, a mobile shower program, a food distribution program, a weekly contemplative prayer group, monthly liturgies, active door ministry for those experiencing homelessness, local advocacy, and various peace-making and resistance efforts.
Our full mission statement:
We are a Catholic Worker community rooted in Jesus’ vision of God’s Reign among us, committed to a shared life of prayer and action in joyful service to people on the margins.
- We believe in a “Revolution of the Heart” that begins with the transformation of our own hearts and leads to a renewed world of peace and justice where all beings and the Earth itself are held sacred.
- We commit to a disciplined practice of contemplation, prayer, and reflection.
- We act boldly and creatively in practicing the Works of Mercy and the daily discipline of loving others.
- We nonviolently resist systems of exploitation, war and preparations for war, and ecological destruction, while seeking creative alternatives.
- We are rooted in our local community and dedicated to creating and sustaining person-to-person relationships.
- We welcome and value the gifts of all.
- We strive for a joyful life together.