The mission of Filament Theatre is to create a more equitable society by celebrating and amplifying the perspectives and experiences of young people through the performing arts.
Filament Theatre believes the following statements to be true and pledges to use these guiding principles to inform our art making, budget, daily operations, community engagement, and future as an organization:
- Young people deserve to express their true selves and live their authentic lives free from discrimination and violence, with access to any and all the personalized resources they need to fully develop and thrive without limitations.
- Young people deserve the right to share their thoughts and opinions freely, in whatever medium allows them to best convey those ideas without causing harm to themselves or others, and those thoughts should be heard and valued by their communities.
- Young people experience all the same struggles, successes, fears, and dreams as adults do and, in turn, should be given opportunities to explore those same complex ideas and emotions.
- Young people deserve the right to rest, relax, play, and enjoy access to cultural and creative outlets where they can see themselves and other communities and cultures represented.
- Adults should act with the best interest of young people in mind and use their adult privilege to advocate on the behalf of young people in their communities and in the world.