East Brooklyn Congregations
- New York
EAST BROOKLYN CONGREGATIONS-METRO I.A.F. ORGANIZER JOB OPENINGS IN NEW YORK & NEW JERSEY
The leaders and organizers of the East Brooklyn Congregations & Metro Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF) build independent citizen-run organizations whose primary purpose is building power that lasts. Metro IAF organizations are made up of people from all races and classes and focus on productive improvements in the public arena that make life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness everyday realities. We build homes, reduce crime, improve schools, create wealth and rebuild communities. We don’t fit into any ideological category or cartoon – left or right, progressive or conservative.
Metro IAF (www.metro-iaf-ny.org or @metroiafny)has seven affiliates in the New York metropolitan area: East Brooklyn Congregations; Manhattan Together; South Bronx Churches; Empower Queens United in Action and Leadership; Long Island Congregations, Associations and Neighborhoods; Westchester United; and New Jersey Together.
We are based in more than 120 institutional members: churches, synagogues, mosques, homeowners associations, senior centers, schools, and voluntary associations. We have significant political power and a history of accomplishments:
- Building or rehabilitating more than 6,400 affordable Nehemiah homes and apartments, worth nearly two billion dollars
- Partnering with the NYC Department of Education to start four small quality public high schools and two charter schools, and create $400 million in school construction
- Spearheading two environmental clean ups in Jersey City totaling $1 billion dollars
- Winning a $60 million clean up and rehabilitation of East River and Seward Park
- Helping pass NYC’s first living wage in 1996
- Helping pass NYC Charter reform in 1990
- Leading countless successful actions to improve bus, postal and senior services, and the conditions of our parks and grocery stores
- Engaging thousands of local leaders each year in the democratic process.