Social Tap, Inc.'s mission is to provide programs and services through grassroots partnerships to address the identified and emerging needs of at-risk, vulnerable, and exploited populations, including those displaced either by natural and/or man-made disasters internationally in developing countries.
We seek to provide a comprehensive Asset-Based Community Development (ABCD) approach utilizing social capital to fill the gaps and provide support through networks encouraging transparency, effective communication, evaluation, and collaboration in order to create and reinforced sustainable communities.
- Social Tap, Inc.'s pilot initiative began as a volunteer organization called The Haiti Initiative (THI) in June 2010 in response to the January 2010 Earthquake in Haiti by a committed group of individuals led by Kara Lightburn. THI's was established with a vision of creating a model for humanitarian response and sustainable community development through asset-based community development in Jacmel and its surrounding rural areas.
In fulfillment of its vision, The Haiti Initiative (THI) through community engagement identified needs and instituted programs of partnerships and support in the following 7 Core Areas:
- Agriculture & Food Security
- Asset Mapping, Community Capacity Building & Development
- Environment & Climate Change
- Health & Hygiene
- Human Rights
- Pinchinat (IDP) Camp
- School Development
- Youth Development & Education
In April 2012, the non-profit Social Tap, Inc. was incorporated in New York State in order to support and expand the work of The Haiti Initiative (THI) and future initiatives based on the principles in its mission.