The First Tee of San Francisco
The First Tee of San Francisco is a unique youth development program that uses the sport of golf to teach students LIFE SKILLS. Values inherent to the game of golf: integrity, honesty, self-control and self -reliance are also explored both on course and in a classroom setting. The program’s mission is to have each student leave the program with the self management, goal setting, and conflict resolution skills necessary to compete and contribute in their respective communities. First Tee students lead both on and off the golf course.
Founded in 2004 as part of the renovation at Harding Park, the First Tee Of San Francisco is a unique collaborative effort between The PGA Tour’s TPC division, San Francisco Park and Recreation and the The First Tee of San Francisco. Since its inception in 2004, The First Tee of San Francisco has introduced over 25,000 kids to the golf of game and its life skills curriculum.
GOLF IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS
A partnership with the San Francisco Unified Schools to introduce golf and its inherent values to every fourth and fifth grader in all eighty elementary schools. Trained First Tee Coaches provide free golf and life skills instruction to over 8000 students during six weeks of PE classes. At the end of six weeks, students are transported out for a season ending golf carnival field trip to Harding park and given the chance to sign up for additional afterschool and weekend lessons.
AFTERSCHOOL/WEEKEND CLASSES AT VISITACION VALLEY
First time ever a golf practice facility has been built atop a middle school playground. Students from low income neighborhoods are being exposed to golf by building a learning center in their neighborhood. Six elementary and middle schools sit within a 2 mile radius of the facility. First Tee transports students during their PE classes to facility and back. As students progress, they are taken to nearby Glen Eagles golf course for on course play and life skills. Over 1500 at need students have learned the game of golf through this unique program and facility.
CLASSES AND WORK/STUDY PROGRAMS AT HARDING PARK & GOLDEN GATE PARK GOLF COURSES
Classes during summer and afterschool and weekends for Spring and Fall. Annually, over 1800 students take part in our 90-minute golf and life skill classes at our dedicated First Tee classroom and range.
In summer 125 select students from Visitacion Valley are transported to Harding Park for daylong classes Monday through Friday. Students help teach our summer camps and receive academic tutoring in the am and practice and play golf in the afternoon. From this group, students who are 16 yrs of age are eligible for paying internships at the gold course. If students complete internships, additional scholarship monies are available to them.
FIRST TEE BY THE NUMBERS:
- Over 25,000 students touched since inception in 2004, we will see 9500 in 2014
- Teach 8,000 students a year in Spring “golf in the elementary schools program”
- Over 600 “in need” students participate annually classes at our Visitacion Valley facility
- 1200 young students ages 6-17 will participate in our year round programs at Harding Park
- 600 young students ages 6-17 will particpate at our newest facility, Golden Gate Park Golf Course, managed by First Tee and dedicated to youth and families
- Currently, 300 have graduated to our highest level of programming birdie/eagle
- 16 have successfully completed our inaugural work/study internships at the PGA’s TPC Harding Park
- Two have been named First Tee scholars
- Four alumni have been awarded college golf scholarships